DevOps: Simple and Effective Strategies to Understanding DevOps is a practical book that offers simple, concise, and easy to follow steps of applying the DevOps approach in your IT organization. This book is easy to read and understand for both those who are new to DevOps and advanced software developers.
This book describes simple DevOps strategies that an organization can implement to increase its turnover from software development, improve its work culture, and to deliver quality software products quickly to the customers hence increasing the organization's competitive advantage.
By using case studies, the book describes how DevOps approach can be used to bring all stakeholders in the software development cycle like the companies management team, Developers, IT Operations team, system administrators, Quality Assurance team, and Information Security teams to collaboratively work towards a common goal of meeting customer requirements.
The book starts gradually from the history of DevOps and a description of what DevOps is and goes deeper into the advanced technical aspects of DevOps up to the last chapter that describes the misconceptions surrounding DevOps. Each section of the book is comprised of practical examples and case studies that will allow the reader to gain a deeper understanding of how to apply the tenets DevOps in the software development cycle.
This book is intended for software developers and administrators who would wish to embark on critical software development projects using DevOps methodology. The book is also good for the information security and quality assurance personnel who would like to support the developers better in the software development cycle. The reader is not required to have any previous knowledge of DevOps since the book develops the concepts from its inception to the advanced concepts.
This book will enable the reader to:
- Understand the advantages of applying DevOps approach and continuous delivery and how DevOps differs from Agile methodology
- Familiarize the reader with the necessary DevOps tools necessary for the implementation of the DevOps approach in software development.
- Develop and implement a software development work plan based on the DevOps culture of continuous deployment.
- To learn how and why DevOps is considered superior to its predecessors like the waterfall methodology. Additionally, this book will unravel how DevOps brings together other approaches like Lean and Agile to result in a rich and advanced approach to software development.
- To understand how the operations teams and development teams can work collaboratively throughout the design cycle as opposed to working in isolation.
- Appreciate the symbiosis between cloud computing and the DevOps methodology and understand how cloud is an enabler of DevOps.
- Learn the application of DevOps methodology in software development, procedures for its implementation, and how DevOps is used to solve the rapidly evolving and new technological challenges of today's world.
- Last but not least, the reader will be able to demystify the myths or misconceptions surrounding DevOps.
DevOps methodology is extensive and emphasizes on delivering quality IT products to the customers in an efficient manner. DevOps is concerned with all stages of software development, from conceptualization of the idea with the client through testing to the deployment stage.
Unlike its predecessors, which handled the stages in isolation, DevOps emphasizes collaboration and effective communication between the different stakeholders and how they can work in harmony to achieve the project's objectives.
This book is organized into six chapters that cover in detail the DevOps theories, history, principles, and tools required in the implementation of DevOps.